Monday 13 December 2010

Holiday

     I was really excited when I started planning my first family holiday with the twins. I somehow believed it would be picturesque like the pictures i had saw in the holiday brochures.

     As the twins approached two, my friend kindly reminded me that after the age of two, you had to pay full fare for a child seat. So i jumped straight onto the Internet and started looking for a package deal.
I found a nice holiday to Portugal, I thought as the flight wasn't too long, and it was they're first plane journey this would be perfect.

     Our flight was first thing in the morning, we had to leave at 5am. I had to wake the twins up out of they're usual routine, feed them, dress them and get them ready. The bags were packed, bottles were ready and the pushchair was in the boot. It was time to go. The minute I got to the airport everything i imagined was soon destroyed when we got to the first hurdle. Checking in.We got to the counter and i didn't realise even the pushchair had to be labelled, and because of terrorism all food and baby medicines had to be labelled and tested by, yep you've got it, me.

     As I took the bottle lid off, I nearly heaved as i took a gulp of the soya formula i was giving to my infants. For the rest of the day I felt this unbelievable guilt of what I was feeding them it was vile.
The actual plane journey was hard. As they were so young your child had to sit on your lap during take off. That's when the crying began, neither child wanted to sit with anybody else, the seat belt light came on, and the plane started to prepare for lift off.

     The twins were great, the plane lifting off did not affect them in the slightest, they were more concerned about who was getting mummy's attention.

     When we arrived in Portugal the airport staff were extremely helpful. They helped me get off the plane, and my pushchair was brought directly to me as i checked in so I could put them straight in.
Arriving at our holiday resort was the funniest of all, to my utter shame i hadn't read the description of the hotel location. I had booked us a  four star hotel that was on the hill. The holiday turned into the loss off my last few inches of baby weight.

     Overall id say the holiday was a success. It prepared the twins for the long haul flights they have now achieved to both America and Jamaica, and they have never had any problems except jet lag.
I think a good tip is to research your whole holiday as much as possible. Pushing a double pushchair was so tiring all holiday, when we were meant to be taking some time out to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment